Multiple Virtual Devices

Topics: Midi IO
Jul 16, 2013 at 7:27 AM
Hi, and thanks for your work!

THE PROBLEM: I'd like to play microtones (let's say quarter-tones)

ONE ANSWER is to detune one channel a quarter tone higher. You can then send the tempered notes to the in-tune channel, and the microtones to the detuned channel. Provided you assigned them the same instrument (!), the result is convincing.

THE TRADE-OFF is that you need 2 channels for just 1 instrument, if you use quarter tones; 4 channels for 1 instrument if you use eighth tones... and at the end you definitely would like to have more channels to assign!

Is there a way to achieve this "channel multiplication" without using external devices?
I would like to create multiple instances of Microsoft GS Synth, but it is a device, not a class!
Maybe you found a way (or a workaround) in MIDI.NET to achieve this?

Thanks in advance,

Elvio
Coordinator
Aug 3, 2013 at 6:43 AM
I don't think there is any other way. The midi spec itself has no events that cover microtones...

You could try to build something (some sort of mapper?) with preset amount of pitch bend...?

Hope it helps...
Aug 5, 2013 at 6:59 AM
Thanks for your answer!
To clarify my question: is there a way to have 32 (48, 64...) midi channels using Microsoft GS Synth?
Or are there other ways to achieve this "many-channels" goal?

Best,

E
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2013 at 8:09 AM
You could try using a DAW to instantiate multiple VSTi's.

You cannot instantiate multiple Midi ports, they are a representation of hardware.