Is MIDI.NET suitable for making VST's sending midi to other VST's (internal routing)

Topics: Getting Started
Jan 11, 2014 at 6:21 PM
Let's say I want to make an arpeggiator, just for example, is Midi.net the way to go or should I check out VST.NET?

Also, I code in Visual Studio C#.net, does anyone have any other advice, maybe other SDK/libs?

Sorry for stupid question but it actually said stupid questions were allowed........ ;)

Thx for helping.
Coordinator
Jan 12, 2014 at 7:27 AM
Its not a stupid question. ;-)

If you plan on making VST plugins you should not have to worry about routing midi or audio between (other) plugins - that is a task of the host (DAW - Cubase, Reaper, Logic, etc).

So if that is your goal use VST.NET to make the midi arpeggiator - check out the samples in the code tab - or download the VS PRoject templates for an easy start. For Midi handling inside the plugin you can use parts of MIDI.NET to help you out. MIDI.NET has a pooled note factory that serves structured class instances for each type of midi message and some helpers to help with dealing with raw midi bytes that might be useful.

Also check out the C# MIDI Toolkit by Leslie Sanford on codeproject.com - that may be suitable as well.

Hope it helps.
Marc