This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

MIDI notes

Topics: Documentation, Getting Started, Midi IO, Midi Message Classes, Samples
Feb 2, 2014 at 7:56 PM
I want to create a VST that observes the MIDI notes being played live and shows them to me as they would look on the bars of sheet music. It doesn't have to actually create the score and keep history but just show the last notes observed as they are being pressed. This would be used as a learning exercise to read/validate sheet music it in order to create a mental association for the user between notes played and notes read.
  1. Does something like this already exists?
  2. If not, is this something that can be achieved with this library? I assume I can do the note renderings in WPF? Can you point me to the right class for observing the MIDI note stream?
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2014 at 6:27 AM
Edited Feb 3, 2014 at 6:28 AM
If you want to build a VST you may want to check out my other project VST.NET (http://vstnet.codeplex.com). That will allow you to build a VST plugin in managed code (C#/VB.NET). Refer to the source code to find the samples. There are also a VS Project templates available (one for an Audio plugin and one for a Midi plugin).

1) I have not seen anything like that before - but search the net to be sure.
2) You can use this library in combination with VST.NET although, for your case it would not be required. VST.NET can work with WPF and also allow you to receive the incoming Midi events. If you're not using VST.NET look at the Documentation tab. There's a page there that outlines the basics...

Hope it helps.
Marc
Feb 3, 2014 at 6:41 AM
If I create a stand alone app not VST with MIDI.NET and also have Ableton Live running working with MIDI, will the two conflict and can they work simultaneously? or is this a good reason for creating a VST which I assume can work concurrently with any DAW.
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2014 at 6:49 AM
Some multi-client drivers allow multiple connections at the same time - if not, the port will be locked by the first app that opens it.
Nice thing about a VST plugin is that you can let it "run" on pre-recorded midi tracks, but it may be a good idea to get the logic working first in a stand alone app.