This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Windows 8 support?

Topics: Getting Started
Jul 3, 2014 at 6:15 PM
Hi,
I've just discovered your library and I'm wondering if you have any experience using it in the Windows 8 environment? So far I've taken the source and compiled it in Visual Studio 12 with no issues. I' know Windows 8 has eliminated the built in MidiMapper, but I'm wondering if there are any caveats you've run in to. Anyone else out there woring with this in Windows 8?

Chris
Coordinator
Jul 4, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Hi Chris,

Windows 8 has two faces: the desktop and WinRT (StoreApps). The MIDI.NET library uses the winmm (Windows Muli Media) library. Winmm is available on Win8 Desktop but not on WinRT. For WinRT they are developing a new API that is .NET compatible. Check out https://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.WindowsPreview.MidiRT/

Hope it helps,
Marc
Jul 4, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Thanks, Mark. I've been watching the MidiRT developments come along. I'm primarily interested in creating a few of my own desktop apps, fairly simple things like a sysex/patch librarian and loader utility for my old Kawai K4. Well over 20 years ago I did this in the DOS world with my own MPU401 assembly code driver and lots of C code for a graphical interface. Just trying to figure how to do a similar thing in the Windows 8 environment without having to write the low/high level drivers required to communicate through the Windows libraries. As I've been able to fully compile the MIDI.NET source and examples (although I'm still trying to understand why the examples do not function properly), I hope your libraries will allow me to communicate easily over the midi ports, and use .NET to create my own interfaces. I'll let you know how it goes...

Chris
Coordinator
Jul 4, 2014 at 1:53 PM
It should be fairly easy to get normal Midi and SysEx to work for your app. The Getting Started page lays out the basics: https://midinet.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Getting%20Started

The Midi File handling (setup) can be a bit complex because it is build on a generic chunk based file framework. The examples however, do show how to open or save midi files.

If you have any questions, please ask them in a new thread so the problem can be found easily by those having it too...

I would suggest you start with some basic logic of connecting to your Kawai K4 and sending/receiving some basic SysEx messages. When you have that working you will be able to judge if it's worth writing a GUI for it...

Have fun,
Marc